Friday, May 7, 2010

"Change is the essence of life.Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become"

Some of you may have noticed a small change in my bio. An ommission of a few words that mean my whole person. A few weeks ago my therapist, who shall remain unnamed here, changed the doctor for whom she practices. I, of course planned to follow her, while continuing to see the doctor I had been with for years at his office as normal. It seemed, upon my last visit, that that idea was not acceptable to him and when he treated me very badly, I decided to leave his practice and follow my therapist to the doctor for whom she now works.
The other day I had my first consult with the new doctor. Immediately I was impressed with his office and his style of practice. He has a more holistic approach, in whice medications are used when thought to be beneficial, however other options are sought first. His thinking was to take me off of the heavy amount of medications I am on and start clean. After a long session with him explaining my past, present and struggles he feels that my condition is mainly Borderline disorder, an axis 2 disorder and not bipolar at all. In other words (his), my condition is not one that will benefit from medication but rather from intense therapy to heal my past traumas. Borderline being one of the few conditions that can be completely cured with proper treatment, I was ecstatic.
So tonight was my consult with my therapist who now will partially manage my meds and help to wean and detox my system. NOT a fun process. However it must me done. The next few months will be extremely hard. I have done this before in order to conceive my children and did it myself but also didn't have any responsibilities. I could sleep all day if necessary. Now I have two little lives depending on me all day and a husband to support as well, who is currently trying to hold himself together as his mother is dying of cancer. I have my battle set before me but I am looking forward to being myself completely again. I am fully aware that when completely detoxed, I may find the continued need for medication again but feel better that it is more of a last resort than a go-to option.
Here's to a safe, easy ride on the roller coaster laying ahead....

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Good luck to you girl on this! You are so strong and mainly you are one of the strongest people I know!

    ReplyDelete